The Dominican Republic offers a little bit of everything on this Columbus-discovered island in the sea. From world-class golf resort to minor and major league baseball (the country’s favorite pastime), active couples will have plenty to do and see. If a slower pace is more your speed, then take your pick from 800 miles of super-fine sandy beaches. The DR (as it’s casually called) is also the largest producer of cigars in the world, so even if you prefer not to smoke, be sure and check out the Museo del Tabaco in the city of Santiago for a slice of history.
Before You Go: Need-to-know info
- Languages: Spanish, English
- Travel time: 4 hours from NYC, 9 hours from LA
- Getting around: Taxis (agree on a rate before diving in!)
When To Go: The Dominican Republic at its best
- Best weather: The nice thing about the DR is that it averages 78-82 degrees Fahrenheit year-round, making it a warm-weather honeymoon destination anytime.
- Best prices: May through October
What To Do
- Go whale-watching: On the eastern side of the island, the Bay of Samana is teeming with humpback whales from December through March. You can cozy up on a chartered boat and watch these wondrous creatures as they migrate to their breeding and feeding grounds.
- Relax on sugary beaches: The DR’s most popular destination is also home to some of the best beaches in the world. In addition to its all-inclusive resorts, Punta Cana’s 21-mile coast is lined with coconut palms and boarder by warm cerulean waters. For something a little less populated, check out the beaches of the north and northeast coasts.
- Support ecotourism: Because it is home to the highest and lowest peaks in the Caribbean, the DR has taken advantage of its eco-friendly status with plenty of green itineraries. Couples can bird-watch among 300 species, camp in the national parks, explore caves, hike trail to Pico Duarte (the highest point at 10,206 feet above sea level), or go windsurfing and white-water rafting, just to name a few.
For more informations and prices please email [email protected]